Friday, June 10, 2011

Alton Brown's Indian Rice Pudding (Kheer)

This month my book club read Sister of My Heart, a story of two sisters growing up in India. One of the sisters, Sudha, mentioned that her favorite food in the world was Kheer, Indian rice pudding with pistachios and raisins. So I made Alton Brown's version of Kheer to eat while we discussed the book.

Mmmm Pudding! Warm pudding is comfort food at its best. I grew up on homemade rice pudding, bread pudding and custard. This recipe has all the components of a good pudding....it's sweet and creamy, but then it has a very distinct and foreign flavor because of the cardamom. It was fantastic!

Tonight I am celebrating my hubby's survival of the first year of medical school. A little surf and turf is on the menu - top sirloin steak and king crab legs! Hooray for summer vacation!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...